Tuesday 8 October 2013

Can't get enough of your love

Well well well.... What can I say. To be honest I think I am still in shock. I have never felt so lucky and I know it sounds corny but totally and utterly blessed. This weekend was tough, I mean it was also tonnes of fun, but it was definitely tough. I can say hand on my heart, I couldn't have done it without the amazing people that I have to support me. Friends and family and friends that I would count as family all rallied round me and got me through a hula hooping torture!



Every time I looked like I might give up they were there. They were there early and late to help me set up our cake sale, to pack away and generally keep my spirits up. Now hula hooping might not seem like too tough a challenge but try it for an hour or so and you will understand a tiny bit of what I  feel like now. I am totally convinced I have internal bruising!

To see photos from my weekend please have a peek at https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106453083218567702157/albums/5932291224704391329

But! Now this is a huge but!!! It was worth it! My god was it worth it! With all contributions from sponsors and cake sales we made just over £1000 this weekend! I am absolutely gobsmacked! The generosity was insane and we met so many parents with children who have been diagnosed with autism or as refers. We were so surprised at the number of parents that also did not know about the Autism Mothers page that was set up by the Autism Trust to support and help mothers with autistic children. It is such a fantastic resource where worried parents can share heir problems and get answers from mothers who have experienced the same things. So not only have we raised a lot of money but we have helped numerous families connect and find support they didn't know existed! I don't know who reads this blog, or if anyone bothers reading it at all, but if you are reading this and you have a family member who is autistic and you are struggling please seek out Autism Mothers on Facebook. They can and will help! https://www.facebook.com/AutismMothers

This is the reason I want to do this year of fundraising for this particular charity. To raise awareness. There are so many children diagnosed with autism and these children grow up into adults with autism. Autism is incurable. It can be improved with a lot of time and patience and the correct professional experience but this is lacking in the UK and can be expensive. The Autism Trust focuses on taking these young adults and assisting them in finding their place in the world...


  • Only 15% of adults with autism in the UK are in full time employment.
  • Nearly two-thirds of adults with Autism in the UK do not have enough support
  • At least one in three adults with autism are experiencing sever mental health problems due to a lack of support


These facts are what I want to help change. To make a difference. The money I have raised so far is already going to help!!

The centre in Ascot, Polly's Place, will soon be the proud owner of a new gorgeous arts and crafts table as well as craft supplies for their visitors that come weekly. This area is also used for coffee mornings for mums to get support and discuss issues they are having.

The money is also giving towards helping someone in particular... Alain. He is my age, and dreams of being a video editor. One day his dad walked past Polly's Place and went in in desperation. His son, Alain, cannot get a job. His autism holds him back. His dad didn't know what to do. The Autism Trust took on his challenges without hesitation. This money will go towards assisting him with support from Emily from the Trust to get some experience, a portfolio together and eventually a job, some independence and his dad, peace of mind knowing he did his best to help his son realise his dream. Alain will hopefully be creating a lovely video montage of my photos. As soon as it's ready I will share it with you :)


So, I suppose you all want to know what's next... Well, you are in for a treat!! And all those who haven't donated yet, save your money. You are going to want to save it for my next challenge! ;)

I'm not going to give it all away today, want to keep you in suspense..... But I'm not a cruel person so I will give you a little teaser...... Ready?!



I think you may have guessed!

I will give you more of a clue soon but until then...

Hope.... Out



1 comment:

  1. Hope, your morals and values are inspirational ......... People like you truly are a gift from God himself

    ReplyDelete